Top 10 fun facts about Barbados
If you are looking for places to stay in Barbados, you may want to know a bit more about the luxurious island. Barbados has a lot of history and fun facts that many do not know, or even expect. Before you head on your trip to Barbados and stay in a Villa, take a look over some of the fun facts about Barbados that we’ve collated for you – you might find some quite surprising!
- Did you know that music star ‘Rihanna’ was born in Barbados and moved to the US at the age of 16 to pursue her music career.
- Barbados has never been successfully invaded by a Foreign power.
- Barbados is completely surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean.
- The name of the country ‘Barbados’ is derived from ‘the Bearded Fig Trees’.
- Barbados became independent from Britain on November 30th, 1966 which means last year they celebrated 50 years independence.
- It is the only coral island in the region with all white sand beaches.
- Barbados is 21 miles long and 14 miles wide.
- Every year, Barbados exports $57 million of rum worldwide.
- Barbados is the most developed Caribbean island country, and is amongst the top 5 most developed countries in the Western Hemisphere, alongside Canada and the U.S.
- There is a huge population of Mongoose in Barbados, why? They were imported from India to control the rat problem in the sugarcane fields. However, instead of eating rats, they ate the snakes which were the rat’s original predator. In Barbados it is seen as good luck if a Mongoose crosses your path.
These are only a few of the fun facts about Barbados, the beautiful island provides 100s of years of history and has many facts about it to interest any visitor. To book your place to rent in Barbados, contact us now.